Latin Words or Phrases Every Catholic Should Know
As Catholics, we have a rich legacy and patrimony that extends back 2,000 years. Some portion of that patrimony is the astonishing Latin dialect. Unfortunately, relatively few Catholics are energetic about this rich legacy. Some may reject the use of Latin as something that Vatican II got rid of. Off-base! Relatively few understand that our very own decent piece English dialect and the other sentiment dialects like French, Italian, and Spanish all infer in a huge part from Latin roots.
That being stated, it is Lent and we may go up against something notwithstanding surrendering something. In light of that, here are a couple of Latin words or expressions that each Catholic should know. It’s our legacy and we ought to be glad for it! Each Catholic should know a couple of Latin words and expressions. Here are 15 of them. Have fun with it! And practice the pronunciation in front of a friend for a good laugh.
1. Hoc est corpus meum. (Hoke–est–core-puss–may-oohm)
This is my body.
2. Agnus dei, qui tolis peccata mundi. (Ahn-use-day-e-qwee-tow-lease-peck-ah-tah-moon-dee)
Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world.
3. Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus (sahnct-oose)
Holy, holy, holy
4. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti – (Een-no-me-nay-pah-trees-eht-fee-lee-e-eht-speer-it-toose-ahnct-tea)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit
5. Corpus Christi (core-puss-kree-stee)
Body of Christ
6. Ave Maria, gratia plena. Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus… (Ah-vey-Maria-grah-tsee-ah-play-nah-doe-me-news-tay-koom-beh-neh-deek-tah-too-een-moo-lee-air-e-boos)
Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women…
7. Gloria Patri, et filio, et spiritui sancto… (Glow-ree-ah-pah-tree-eht-fee-lee-oh-eht-speer-it-too-e-san-ktoe)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit…
8. Sanguis Christi (sahn-gweese-kree-stee)
Blood of Christ
9. Pater Noster (pah-tehr-know-stir)
10. Oremus (oar-ay-moose) or Ora et labora (oar-uh-eht-lah-boar-uh) or Ora pro nobis (oar-uh-pro-know-bees)
Let us pray or Pray and Work or Pray for us
11. Dominus vobiscum (doe-me-news-voh-bees-koom)
The Lord be with you
12. Et cum spiritu tuo (eht-koom-speer-it-too-too-oh)
And with your spirit
13. Caritas (carry-tahs) or caritatis (carry-tah-tease)
14. Fiat mihi secundum verbum (Fee-aht-me-he-say-coon-doom-ver-boom)
Be it done unto me according to Thy Word
15. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa (may-uh-cull-pah…may-uh-moxi-muh…)
My fault, my fault, my most grievous fault
You’re welcome. Please always share with friends and family.