What you need to know about the First Saturday Devotions.
The first Saturday devotion is observed in honor of the Immaculate Heart of Mary with the intention to make reparation for the sins of mankind. This devotion was revealed by the Blessed Virgin to the three children, Francisco, Jacinta, and Lucia when she appeared to them at Fatima, Portugal, in 1917. On June 13, 1917, Our Lady particularly stated when she spoke to Lucia: “Jesus through you wants to make me known and loved. He wants to establish the devotion to my Immaculate Heart in the whole world.
Our Lady also repeated this in the apparition on July 13th, after the vision of Hell that was shown to the three children, she said: “You have seen Hell, where the souls of poor sinners would go to. To save those souls, God wishes to establish the devotion to my Immaculate Heart in the whole world. If what I say to you is granted, many souls will be saved and there will be peace.” Our Lady went further to ask for reparation saying that “There are so many souls whom the Justice of God condemns for sins committed against my immaculate heart, that I have come to ask for reparation to this Heart for the sins of mankind, particularly the five kinds of offenses and blasphemies against the Immaculate Heart of Mary”.
1. The Blasphemies against the Immaculate Conception.
2. The Blasphemies against her perpetual virginity.
3. The Blasphemies against the divine and spiritual maternity of Our Mother Mary.
4. The Blasphemies involving the rejection and dishonoring of her images.
5. The Neglect of implanting in the hearts of children a knowledge and affection of this Immaculate Mother.
Our Lady went on to say that “Those who receive Holy Communion on the First Friday of the month and who assist at the public exercises in honor of the Sacred Heart, may gain: A plenary indulgence with the Confession, Communion, and prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father in additional”.
Below are the First Saturday devotions that are efficacious in honoring the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
1. The Holy Mass
2. Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
3. An act of Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
4. Act of Reparation
5. The Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
6. The Sacrament of Reconciliation
Our Lady went on to make this promise “I promise that at the hour of death help with the graces needed for salvation, whoever on the First Saturday of five consecutive months shall:
1. Go to Confession and Receive Holy Communion.
2. Recite five decades of the Holy Rosary.
3. Keep me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.