Give God control: 15 verses to help during anxiety and fear
Terrorism, disease, natural disasters, war, violence and crime; we live in a world where we see and hear about horrors daily. People are dying every day, in your city, in my city, in a country on the other side of the world. I am scared. It’s difficult not to be afraid.
Fear is powerful and when you let it overpower you, it’s difficult to see anything but the fear. When fear becomes a force in your life, it branches off into worries, stress and anxiety; this is all part of the enemy’s plan. He wants to drag us down and overshadow our life with unbearable darkness.
How are we not supposed to be bothered though? How can we be confident in the future and let our life take its destined course? How do we put to end the pestering “what ifs?”
What if I mess up and get fired? What if the tire on my car pops and the vehicle flips? What if my child’s future isn’t amazing, and it’s my fault? Stop.
Take back your life, and don’t let fear dominate you. Convert your constant thoughts of worries and fears with positive ones. Make it a point to pray the Lord’s words constantly the negative thoughts no longer have a place in your head.
“There’s nothing magical about words and verses, but there is power through them because they’re God’s words,” described Debbie McDaniel.”His words are ‘life’ words, soothing to our soul, calming to our spirits, giving power to our days.”
With assistance from McDaniel, here are 15 verses, to remind us that we do not have to be anxious:
1. “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3
2. “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.” John 14:27
3. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
4. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
5. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and assist you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
6. “The Lord is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
7. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1
8. “The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.” Psalm 34:7
9. “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” Proverbs 29:25
10. “Do not be scared of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you.” Deuteronomy 3:22
11. “Jesus told him, ‘Don’t be afraid; just believe.'” Mark 5:36
12. “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” Psalm 55:22
13. “Humble yourselves, then, under God’s mighty hand, so that he will lift you up in his own good time. Commit all your worries with him, because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7.
14. “Tell everyone who is discouraged, Be strong and don’t be afraid! God is coming to your rescue…” Isaiah 35:4
15. “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34